Thank you to the lovely Michelle of Northsouthblonde.com for nominating me for the Liebster Award! It is an honor to have joined the ranks of aspiring writers like yourself. Michelle is an awesome and intelligent mommy of 2 girls, blogging about her personal experiences, photography, lifestyle, health, fitness, and beauty. Her blog is one of the firsts that I read when I decided to start this journey, and she instantly touched my soul because our interests, style, and personalities are so similar.
This award is so close to my heart, because it shows that my work is being noticed in the blogging community, and that means more to me than words can say. I appreciate you taking the time to read my work, and also for sharing it with others!
If you’re wondering what the Liebster Award is, let me tell you. It’s a chain of awards that help people to discover new blogs. In this chain, the award is given to a number of nominees, who then pass the award on to other new bloggers, and the chain goes on. The rules for receiving the award are simple:
Now, I’ll do my part by answering the 11 questions asked of me:
- What motivated you to blog?
My goal as a little girl was always to become a world-famous writer, and I spent so much time with my nose buried in books. If I wasn’t reading, I was filling up blank notepads with my own dramatic stories. I was motivated to jump in and start blogging when my baby was born, for two reasons. Number one, I genuinely enjoyed putting my thoughts down in writing and sharing them with others, and blogging made that easy. Number two, I had plenty of time to kill during my maternity leave while my baby just slept and nursed for all hours of the day and night.
- Any advice/tips for others starting to blog?
Be genuine. Let your true self shine and it will attract the right kind of people. Having “followers” is great for the ego, but having a loyal tribe of people that truly support you and admire who you really are is so much more valuable.
- Are you monetizing your blog? If so, what best works for you?
I haven’t started monetizing my blog yet, although that is the plan. I have a full-time job and an infant, so building my blogging empire will come at a slower pace…but I’ll get there. Using affiliate marketing and e-courses will be my plan when it’s time to implement the new strategy.
- What makes your blog unique?
My blog has a good mixture of content and pleasant reality. I try to provide real and raw life experience, but keep it friendly and upbeat. There is enough negativity floating around on the internet, and I’d like to provide an escape from that. Positive thoughts, helpful tips, easy recipes, life hacks, natural beauty products, and anything else I can think of that makes life a little more pleasant.
- What are some of your favourite blogs that inspire you?
I’m personally inspired by working moms, only because their content is so close to home for me and it makes me feel “normal”. But anyone that is doing something positive in their life and sharing that light with the world is pretty inspiring to me. I love Melyssa Griffin, Hustle and Highchairs, North South Blonde, and Making Motherhood Matter, just to name a few of the bloggers that I have been inspired by during my short time in this environment.
- How would your best friend describe you?
I hope my best friend would describe me as loyal, kind, and pleasant to be around.
- What blogging post are you most proud of and why?
I am most proud of this letter that I wrote to my dad who passed away when I was 20. He raised four daughters on his own and I don’t think I ever really thanked him when he was alive, so I wanted to write down all of the things I should’ve said to him. It is such a personal piece and it is the first time that I really opened up about my private world and the loss of a parent. It is the one article that I want people to share and remember any time that they are frustrated with their dad. Life is short, and we need to appreciate and honor our parents.
- What country do you live in and what is your nationality?
I’m a white girl living in the United States of America.
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
I would love to go to the Gold Coast of Australia. I met two lovely Aussie girls at a wedding once and we’ve kept in touch over the years. I have always said that “someday” I’ll go visit them, so to have the freedom to pack up my family and go to Australia and experience a new land and continent…that would be truly amazing.
- What is your favourite recipe?
I love Mexican food, like the real authentic stuff! My husband’s family is from Mexico, and they cook the most amazing food. If I could eat real street tacos in homemade tortillas every day, I would. So, yeah. Any Mexican recipe will do.
- How do you think you can improve as a blogger?
Oh, there is so much to improve on. I would like to improve my SEO skills to help people find my work, and then improve my marketing skills to help people see the value in my work. I never want to be “that” annoying marketer that uses amateur tactics to make sales and get attention. I want to provide true value to my readers and an interchange of encouragement and benefit. Improving my professional skills to benefit my readers and followers is the most important thing for me.
And before we move on to the best part, here are 11 random facts about me!
- I grew up in sunny California.
- My sisters are my best friends.
- I have no tattoos.
- I have a small obsession with iced coffee.
- I wrote a young adult novel when I was 14 years old.
- My first car was a 1969 Chevy Nova.
- I love the show Impractical Jokers.
- My favorite movies are comedies.
- My favorite genre of music is Country.
- I love reading on the beach.
- Becoming a mommy is the best thing that has ever happened to me!
Now, it’s time to spread the love and announce my nominees! Drum-roll please…
- Kaitlyn Pierce of Hustle and High Chairs – A hard working mom that has reminded me that it is okay to be human and cry over spilled (breast) milk.
- Mandy of Make Me Up Mandy – An inspiring mommy blog for the modern woman, that touches on all things health, beauty, motherhood, and life.
- Cathy of Momma Bliss – A dedicated wife and mom trying to live wholesomely and wholeheartedly.
- Samantha of Living with Real Joy – Helping families find hope in the face of depression, autism, and ADHD.
- Melanie of Love-Byrd – This beautiful woman shares her love of design, beauty, and fashion on her blog.
- Jennifer of Kids Eat Vegetables – A passionate health coach and mom of 3, eager to help all of us raise healthy kids.
- Jackie of Venting Sessions – A judgment-free zone for mamas to let out their frustrations.
- Emily of Mommy the Zookeeper – A real and raw homeschooling mommy of 5 kids.
- Lauren Jane of Bellows in the Berkshires – An awesome small-town mommy blogger sharing her blended-family journey.
- Shannon of Working Mom Memoirs – A hard-working mommy of two who recently rekindled her love of writing.
- Lucy of Oh That’s Momsense – Lucy shares her awesome DIY projects, yummy recipes, and lots of mom life humor.
I truly believe that all of you ladies have that special something that makes you an incredible writer, and I’m inspired by each of you every day! If you would like to keep the award chain going, please follow the simple rules listed above and answer these 11 questions:
- As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- What has been the biggest challenge of your blogging career?
- If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
- What is your favorite social media platform and why?
- What inspired you to start blogging?
- What is your favorite food?
- If money was no object, where would you vacation this summer?
- What is the first thing that you do when you wake up in the morning?
- What is the most adventurous thing you have ever done?
- Where do you look for support in pursuing your blogging career?
- What is one thing that you can’t live without?
Thank you all for taking the time to show your love and support to my new blog, along with all of the lovely ladies mentioned here. Congratulations on receiving your award ladies!
Please visit the blog of your fellow Nominees and be sure to show your support with likes, comments, or shares!
— Cate Rosales