How to Beat the Heat and Stay Productive!

image

I’m a summertime girl to say the least. I love the scorching sun, golden tan lines, iced tea, the whole shebang. I would live in the ocean if it was possible, and I contemplated the existence of mermaids as a young girl. And hey, if we could all lie under shady palm trees drinking cold boozy drinks all summer, that would be pretty awesome. Unfortunately, we all have responsibilities to keep up with. So I put together this list of easy ways to beat the summer heat and stay productive at the same time. These are just a few things that I actually do myself every summer, so I can attest to the fact that it keeps you cool and helps you accomplish something.

1. Clean with cold water.

When it’s 110 degrees outside (like it was yesterday), the last thing I want to do is wash dishes or mop the floors with boiling hot water. I realize the warm water kills bacteria, but when it is that hot outside, I just don’t care. Use cold water to clean house, scrub dishes, and mop floors.

2. Clean out the car with your A/C on.

I’ve never owned a car with air conditioning until this year, the year 2016! Cleaning out the car in triple-digit heat was unheard of. If you are lucky enough to have air conditioning in your car, then crank up the radio and the A/C, and give it a good interior clean. Be sure to stay hydrated during all of this work.

3. Clean out the fridge and freezer.

You’re probably noticing a trend here. It’s going to be hot this summer, so if you are going to get anything done, you’ll have to avoid overheating. Cleaning out the fridge and freezer is a great way to stay cool and be productive. Get rid of expired junk, disinfect all racks from top to bottom, and organize all food. My husband still laughs about the day that I was 9-months-pregnant in stuffy September with my head in the freezer scrubbing away! It felt so good cooling off and getting some nesting done at the same time; just be sure to take breaks and listen to your body.

4. Wait until sunset to clean.

For most of us, being productive in the heat just doesn’t sound appealing at all. Sure, there are things that we have to do, but most household duties can wait until the evening. So be smart and save the hard work for the cooler hours. If you have a job that requires you to work in the heat, like my dear husband, drink lots of water, wear a hat, and take your mandated breaks in the shade.

5. When all else fails, hit the beach!

Now, back to those cold boozy drinks that I mentioned at the onset of this article. Summertime is made for fun! So get outside and enjoy the weather and the water; a lake, a river, a beach, a pool. Being productive is great, but lying on the beach is even better.

boozydrinks

If you enjoyed this article, then check out my tips for getting Summer-Ready! You can also follow my summer journey on my blogFacebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.

And be sure to pick up my all-natural exfoliating and moisturizing sugar scrub for beautiful summer skin!

Article by: Cate Rosales
6.21.2016

Advertisements

67 thoughts on “How to Beat the Heat and Stay Productive!

• Cate says:

Oh definitely! It’s hard to get anything done with kids attached to ya haha. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, it means a lot to me!

1. marymakeup says:

Believe it or not I hate summer, too hot to do anything and I don’t feel well at all (btw I live in Italy and here the summer can be really hot indeed). I clean the house late in the evening or when I feel like. Three months only and it’s autumn again, thank God 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. Vandana Mathur says:

Summers are very hot in India. I prefer to work in the morning when it is cooler and I have high energy level. I somehow don’t feel like working in the evenings.
    And I have decided to clean my fridge tomorrow itself 😀

Liked by 1 person

• Cate says:

Cleaning in the morning is wonderful too! For me personally, I like waking up to a clean house, just cant sleep well if there is work to be done. Good luck cleaning out the fridge, and thanks for stopping by to comment!

Liked by 1 person

• Cate says:

Oh girl, I feel your pain! Survived trimester 3 in the dead of summer with no AC, and during some home construction that left us without running water for days. Quite an adventure. Hang in there girl, and congrats on your pregnancy!

3. littlemisscant says:

We have air conditioning in both of our vehicles as well as our house which I can’t imagine life without. It doesn’t get in the triple digits here thankfully but I can totally relate to not wanting to do anything when it’s hot outside!

Liked by 1 person

• Cate says:

I agree, relaxing in the AC is the best. We try to keep ours off 95% of the time to save money, so cold showers are a good backup plan! Thanks for reading!

4. terrynwinfield says:

I laughed out loud at the thought of you cleaning the fridge while 9 months pregnant! I can relate to that awful overheating feeling at the end of a summer pregnancy!

Liked by 1 person

5. heatherjwfl76@gmail.com says:

For #1 – I just use steam appliances 🙂 . Put the water in cold and it comes out as steam you don’t have to get close to. I have to have germs and bacteria killed or I just don’t feel good about it and I don’t use harsh chemicals in my home, so it works great. Best of both worlds LOL!

Liked by 1 person

• Cate says:

Excellent point about the steam appliances. We really try to limit harsh chemicals in this house too! Thanks for reading and commenting 💞💞

• Cate (@sweetsimplecate) says:

You also reminded me that I don’t have a dishwasher, so some people probably read that tip to “do dishes with cold water” and thought I was crazy haha. Just throw them in the dish washer! For those of you with a dishwasher, enjoy every load washed!!

• Cate says:

Haha, yes saving a little money is great! And I alwayd use warm water when its not super hot, but cold water is so refreshing and makes cleaning the dishes slightly less miserable! Thank you for commenting!

• Cate says:

Yes, of course! Forget cleaning, the beach is calling our name haha!

We sell lovely salt and sugar scrubs as well, check out our products page!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting 🙂

6. Yvonne Sowell says:

Haha, these are brilliant tips. Wished I’d have read this before staying out in the heat watching my husband wash his car. I had the baby pen outside so our son could be in the heat with us too. Thought it could be a family bonding moment for some reason

Liked by 1 person

7. Dawn McAlexander says:

Often times I clean really early in the morning, or late after the sun has gone down. Around here, midday is just too hot to clean during. Also, cleaning the fridge and freezer is a great way to stay cool while still being productive.

Liked by 1 person

8. Cara (@StylishGeek) says:

You offered some really awesome tips! We are just beginning to feel the heat in our part of the State and goodness it’s really hoooooot! Since we have dry heat, I actually brought down all of our window blinds. It helps the keep the hot sun out. Surprisingly this helps keep our home cool.

Liked by 1 person